Sunday 12 October 2008

let me introduce you to...

Hi,
my name is Anika and I am currently studying journalism at the University of Westminster in London. I just created this blog to share some of my written or even published articles.

As soon as I could read and write, I knew that I wanted to become a writer. Just recently, my mother told me that when I was learning how to read I often took my dad's newspaper and searched for words that I already knew. I wrote my first short story when I was seven and I started writing poems and lyrics as soon as I was eleven years old. I also love to read. If I do not have to read three academical books a week for my degree, I try to read at least one novel in a week.

As I was not sure if I will become a successful writer with an degree in "creative writing", I decided to study journalism. Even though I still dream of writing novels one day, I also enjoy writing articles. My goal is to write for a broadsheet like The Guardian, or if I go back to Germany, Der Spiegel. I would not like to waste my talent to a gossip magazine, as I am well aware of the importance of good journalism. Journalism the so-called Fourth Estate. People read the newspapers every day...it is a kind of brainwashing. It's important to brainwash people with the right things. Since I am a very proud defender of democracy, it is my duty to fight against racism and hatred with the means of the media.

Furthermore, if Carrie Bradshaw was a real person, she would be my role model. I dream of having my own little column. As I'm not very close to become a Carrie Bradshaw in the near future, I will have to satisfied with having a blog. I'm probably gonna write about politics as well as concert, theatre and book reviews. But I might also compare men to socks or write about sex á la Carrie. (I am feeling sorry for the men to come)

This summer, I went back to Germany, where I grew up. I started doing some freelance journalism and I was able to find some very good contacts. I am a regularly writer for the regional Arts&Entertainment magazine "Blicklicht", where I published some articles about politics and concert reviews. I will put them online as it is hard to read these articles when you are not living in Cottbus. Also I have published some articles in the internet pop magazine "Doppelpunkt".

Therefore, this blog is going to be a bilingual one. I will post all in German published articles in here as well as articles I have written for uni in English. Unfortunately my English is still not perfect, even though I live in London for quite a while now. Obviously, it is still hard for me to play around with English words and use lots of puns. Therefore my news articles will be better in English whereas I can post my German feature articles with pride.

For everyone whose mother tongue is not English, I will introduce myself in German soon.

No comments: